Sunday, June 03, 2007

It's Malacanang and the DOJ who flaunted criminal law and procedure when it went after the Batasan 6 and had me arrested on false charges...

Sunday June 3, 2007

To the Solgen: It's Malacanang and the DOJ who flaunted criminal law and procedure when it went after the Batasan 6 and had me arrested on false charges and a lapsed warrant – Ka Bel

Detained lawmaker Anakpawis Rep. Crispin Beltran today chided Solicitor General Agnes Devanadera for saying that the Supreme Court decision junking the rebellion charges against progressive party-list lawmakers will have adverse circumstances on the criminal justice system.

"Sol.Gen. Devanadera has been giving my attorneys the run-around ever since Malacanang announced a month ago that it will not contest any motion for my release. Now, all of sudden, she's visible again and in fighting form; only she's out to defend the government's immoral, illegal and unjust right to prosecute and incarcerate the innocent. SolGen. Devanedera should refrain from sounding high and mighty as if she's genuinely defending the criminal justice system. By contesting the Supreme Court decision that declared us the victims of the government's campaign of political persecution, she is actually being a party to the potential imposition of more injustice and political repression," he said.

"It is the Department of Justice and Malacanang itself who flaunted criminal law and procedure out the window when they went after us February 2006 and had me arrested and detained on the strength of a two-decade old warrant and bogus testimonies. Sol. Gen. Devanadera is barking up the wrong tree when she accuses the SC on this issue," he added.

Beltran has been detained for 15 months, 12 months of which he spent at the Philippine Heart Center under close guard by elements of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) and the Philippine National Police (PNP). The first three months he was detained in a cramped cell in Cam Crame.

"I have been denied my rights as an elected lawmaker, and a Filipino citizen when I was arrested on a lapsed warrant. My detention also denied the constituents of my party-list Anakpawis of one sectoral representative. My family suffered throughout these ordeal. The Supreme Court's decision was an affirmation of what I have been insisting all along – my innocence of all charges. The government machinated to have me arrested and detained to cripple our pro-poor advocacy and legislative work that just so happened to go against that of the corrupt and illegitimate Macapagal-Arroyo administration," he said.

"I demand immediate justice for myself, my party-list and all the Filipinos who have supported me throughout this 15 month ordeal. We have worked long and hard to press for my release, and the Arroyo government can not deny that it sustained countless blows from the local civil and human rights advocates as well as the international community who also continue to call for my freedom. The SC decision was fair and objective, and Sol.Gen. Devanadera and Malacanang through the DOJ's plan to appeal should be immediately nipped in the bud. They are risking even greater public and international outrage," he said.

Anakpawis, the Free Ka Bel Movement, Kilusang Mayo Uno (KMU) and sister party-lists Bayan Muna, Gabriela Women's Party, Kabataan Party and Suara Bangsa Moro will be holding a mass action in front of the Makati Regional Trial Court offices tomorrow, June 4, 2007 at 9:30 am and there wait for the court to assign the documents finalizing the dismissal of rebellion charges against Ka Bel. Anakpawis leaders also said that there will be protests against the DOJ and the Devanadera's office if they persist with their intent to file an appeal to the decision.#

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home